July 29, 2011

A Happy, Happy Day!

I have a fun one-layer card to share today along with some hints/tips.

I picked my one layer to be the jumping fish that I have popped up.  That meant I had to keep the rest of my designing directly on the front of the card.


To accomplish this, I traced the inside of a square Spellbinders Nestability with a black permanent pen on the card. 

Tip/Hint:  Pause in the corners when tracing.  This will help create smooth lines.

Then I masked off the areas around the square with Judi Kins Eclipse Tape. 

Scattered Straw and Faded Jeans Distress inks were then blended into the square.  I found those cute circle/bubbles in a Christmas set and stamped them with Scattered Straw ink.   

Tip/Hint:  To make the water wave, cut a rectangular piece of Eclipse Tape that will fit across the width of the box.  Cut a random wave pattern across the center of the tape and save both parts.  One will be the mask when you are working on the water and then you can switch to the second piece when you are working on the sky.  They will match like puzzles pieces!

Tip/Hint:  After removing the Eclipse Tape, I used a gray Prismacolor pencil to add a slight shadow around the outside of the black box.  This gives the appearance that inked square is layered onto the card.  For added depth, I used yellow and blue pencils to add shading inside the boxed line and along the wave.

For textural interest, horizontal lines were scored across the bottom of the card and the cord is black ice fishing string.  It is a braided nylon and Teflon coated string.  I love the weight and use it for everything.  This was the string I used HERE to attach the floating balloon.  

You can reference all the Penny Black stamps I used in the supply section below.

Next week I am excited to tell you that I will be featuring cards using all new Penny Black Halloween images!

Wishing you a happy, happy Friday.
Elizabeth

Supplies: 
Penny Black Stamps: Fishing Friends 4140K (fish), Say It With Flowers 20-015 (sentiment), Crystalline 30-018 (round circles)
Copic Markers (to color the fish)
Judi Kins: Eclipse Tape
Prismacolor Pencils: Yellow, Blue, Gray
Ranger: Scattered Straw Distress Ink, Faded Jeans Distress Ink
Sakura:  Black Micron Pen
Spellbinders: Square Nestabilities
Tsukineko: Tuxedo Black Memento Ink