October 22, 2010

Christmas Treat Box

I must confess - I am addicted to boxes! 

I love dimensional art and enjoy creating templates and patterns.  Sometimes I draw my own designs and other times I come across a cute box and before I recycle it, I trace it to make a quick template.


This is a quick and simple cube box that I traced.  Even though it is only 1 1/2-inches square it can hold several little pieces of chocolate - Hershey Kisses or Rolos are pretty foiled candies to use.


To dress up the box, I added two windows so you could see the goodies nestled within and decorated the inside of the lid with holiday greeting.




First I traced the template (available under the "Templates" page) then scored all the fold lines.  Since this pattern was fairly small, I placed it on a piece of fun foam and scored the lines using a stylus and ruler.  Then I created two windows with a circle Nestability.

Before assembling and gluing the side flap, I added pieces of acetate to cover the window openings and added the white gel pen dots.  It is easier to do this while the pattern is flat.



Since I added the windows, the side flap needed to be adjusted so it wouldn't interfere with the window opening.  I used a circle punch to remove the unwanted section. 




This tiny bird is from Penny Black's Jolly Friends and was colored with Copics
and the hat was accented with Crystal Stickles.


I punched a 1 1/2-inch circle from white cardstock and added Tumbled Glass Distress ink.  Using the same ink, I over stamped the snowflake for a subtle background.






I used a ribbon punch to make a slot in the top of the box and inserted a piece of ribbon to make a tiny loop.  The ends were glued flat and covered with this sentiment from Penny Black's Giving and Receiving.  I love this set.  It is packed full of great images and sentiments!  First I blended some the same Copic colors on the circle then I stamped the greeting with black ink and heat embossed it with clear powder.

These make great little party favors at the holiday dinner table or even ornaments after the goodies have been enjoyed.

Let me know if you incorporate this pattern into a project.  I would love to see your designs!

Next week is Designer Technique Week over at the Penny Black Blog.  Be sure to stop by every day for a new technique project.  I have had a sneak peek and there are lots of great ideas planned!

Thank you for stopping by the studio today and have a great weekend.

Elizabeth