June 27, 2011

A Birthday Wish

Isn't it funny how sometimes it's the bits and pieces that make a card?!  



The concept for this design began with the beautiful bird from Nature’s Day.  I love coloring this image and watching it come to life.



I am always amazed at the way cards emerge.  I originally started out with a specific idea in mind, but it just wasn't flowing the way I expected.   

I had a stamped image of Words Like Flowers on my desk which kept calling to me.  Suddenly everything popped into place!  The small flower and ornate script band were just the “bits and pieces” I was looking for along with the cross-hatch pattern from the Trims transparent set.

Here is a quick outline of the card….
  • Ink the edges of a 3 x 5 ½ white card with Old Paper Distress Ink.
  • Stamp bird and collage on watercolor paper and heat set with clear powder.  Color the images and trim. (I pounced a bit of gold ink on the water colored band when it was dry.)
  • Stamp cross-hatch pattern on a 2 ½ x 3-inch piece of tan cardstock with Vintage Sepia. (I used the lighter second impression of ink and added black dots for accent.)
  • Mat with a 2 5/8 x 3-inch piece of black cardstock.  Adhere to the lower portion of the card and add the decorative band.
  • Attach the bird and flower with dimensional foam.
  • Add a sentiment of your choice.

To view another card using Nature's Day, click here.

I love how the card turned out and it was a good reminder for me to not force an idea, but have fun with the thought!

Happy stamping,
Elizabeth

Supplies:
Penny Black “Mix & Match” Cardstock:  Storm 01-001, 01-003, Sticks & Stones 02-002
Canson: 120 lb. Watercolor Paper
Tombow: Dual Brush Markers
Tsukineko: Onyx Black VersaFine, Vintage Sepia VersaFine, Gold Brilliance Ink
Ranger:  Old Paper Distress Ink, Super Fine Detail Clear Embossing Powder
3M Scotch:  Dimensional Foam Tape