Even shadows join in the festive Halloween fun!
|Featuring Penny Black's Shadow Monster|
Today’s card incorporates features from two designing principles: one layer and line of movement.
The line of movement can be seen occurring from the top left down to the bottom right. While the girl and shadow are one image, additions of the button, sentiment and the overhanging pumpkin pail strengthen the visual line. Also, a two-tone card base with mitered corners in the upper right and lower left further enhance the line of sight.
To give the upper left corner a little more weight and create a starting point for the eye, paper piercing was included as well as a heavier button and bow.
Although this card has several layers with the main artwork being matted and then attached to a card base with dimensional foam, it does use one-layer designing principles as outlined in the design variation.
One-Layer DesignVariation: This card can easily be altered into one layer without changing the amount of fun spookiness contained in the design.
- Start with a white card base and stamp the Shadow Monster in Onyx Black VersaFine and heat emboss with clear powder. Tip/Hint: Heat embossing is helpful in eliminating the need for a mask for the shadow monster since inks being added in the background can be easily wiped from the embossed surface.
- Mask off all four sides of the card. Create a partial mask to protect the portion of the girl’s head and arm that are exposed inside the masked frame.
- With a sponge dauber, add Dandelion and Cantaloupe Memento inks. Gently wipe any ink from the embossed area with a soft towel or tissue.
- Remove the masks, color the girl and stamp the sentiment. Accent shadow with glitter.
- Optional: To mimic the effect of the button, use a reverse circle mask and ink the exposed area with purple ink.
- Optional: Ink the edges with Gray Flannel Memento ink.
As Halloween approaches, make sure to keep an eye on your shadow!
Penny Black Mix & Match Cardstock: Fern Green 05-001, Forest Glen 07-003, Summer Sun 17-002
Imagine Crafts/Tsukineko: Onyx Black VersaFine, Dandelion Memento, Cantaloupe Memento, Tangelo Memento, Gray Flannel Memento, Clear Embossing Powder, Jumbo Sponge Daubers