October 5, 2010

A Wish for Peace

Do you ever have one of those days when you start to create a card and it just doesn't flow together?  The other day I had what I thought would be a great idea and it fizzled out.  I wanted to use one of Tim Holtz's Movers & Shapers die-cuts and it just wasn't working with the design so I set the piece aside with a little bit of disappointment.

I came back to my art table a couple of days later and all of a sudden the die-cut took on a whole new shape.  I started envisioning it as an ornament and from that moment on this card came to life.




(Penny Black:  To Follow the Star 4112K, Wherever You Are 4113K, Christmas Text 4115K, Wish for Peach 40-030)
 
I distressed the die-cut with Antique Linen and Vintage Photo Distress inks and stamped the Christmas Text on top with Vintage Photo.  To add some sparkle, I sprayed the ornament with gold Sheer Shimmer Spritz by Tsukineko.

The medallion was created from the Wherever You Are mixed media stamp and colored with Copic markers.  Glossy Accents were added to the black triangles.  




To make it appear that the tiny scene was inside the ornament, I put dimensional foam under the medallion to elevate it.  

I added decorative dots with a black Glaze pen and embossed the sentiment with clear powder to coordinate with the shiny black triangles.

The red seam binding tape I had was a too bright so I stamped the decorative border from To Follow the Star with Vintage Photo ink on the front and back of the ribbon.  When dry, I over stamped it with some of the text from Wherever You Are with gold StazOn ink.  Very subtle, but it toned down the color of the ribbon and made it appear antique.  While I had the gold StazOn ink pad out, I also created the gold paper mat beneath the white cardstock.  I ran the ink pad along the edges of a piece of French vanilla cardstock and set aside to dry until I was ready to put together the layers of the card.

This card measures 3 1/4 x 5 1/2.

Remember to keep those pieces that at the time seem frustrating.  You never know when they will be the perfect fit!  

Thank you for visiting the studio today.

Elizabeth